[LMB] OT: Marna's Test?

Christine L. Forber christine at forber.net
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:27:20 -0500

At 11:10 AM 2/4/2002 -0600, Eric Oppen wrote:

>Now, if I had something sufficiently crushing to say to old ladies at the
>local McDonalds who take it upon themselves to scold me for having a few
>cookies, saying that I'm already overweight...oh, would that my Granma Alice
>(not my real grandmother, but the closest thing I had---more like a
>great-aunt, strictly speaking) were alive!  It's _permitted_ to box old
>ladies' ears if one is an even older lady, or so I am told.

Personally, I think that patting anyone's belly, be they pregnant or not, is
wrong. So is commenting on someone's weight, again be they pregnant or not.
One's weight is one's own problem and should not be a subject for comment by
strangers.

The only reason I resorted to that tactic with this one particular person is
that I couldn't find any other way to get through to him how obnoxious it
was. It didn't help that otherwise, I really liked him! Nice guy, just a big
blind spot! Other female coworkers complained about the same thing when they
were pregnant.

Christine