[LMB] OT: Marna's Test?

Marna Nightingale marna at redmaplegrove.org
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:29:28 -0500

Eric Oppen wrote:

> Now, if I had something sufficiently crushing to say to old ladies at the
> local McDonalds who take it upon themselves to scold me for having a few
> cookies, saying that I'm already overweight...

Same thing I say to people who object to me having, for example, a grrlfriend
and and point out to me that I already have a boyfriend:

"Thank you for your concern."

Repeat until they stop it.

The tone of voice can be adjusted for the level of well-meaning gaga-ness versus
plain old nasty interferingness, or for how many repetitions it takes. After two
or three, you can switch to:

"I BEG your pardon?"

With just these two simple tools, I swear that anyone can have an almost
entirely busy-body-free life for no money down, no payments later...

I love Miss Manners. I just do.

I truly believe that a free and unconventional life requires a strong grasp of
conventional ettiquette... really, I should BOTHER to come up with a new
crushing remark each time someone gets into my business when there are perfectly
good bland and boring ones available? I have a life, you know... :-)

Besides, if you're rude, that sort of person gets a weird pleasure out of it.
They can take pleasure in how rude to them you were, when they were 'just trying
to be nice,' and it'll be their anecdote for the week, you know it will... and
they'll think they got to you.

This is, I promise you, actually MORE crushing.

I'm NOT in the least making fun of you.It's a totally serious suggestion.

Marna.
--
Marna Nightingale
marna at redmaplegrove.org
~~~~~
"Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact,
be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men."
St. Augustine.