[LMB] female socialization (probably OT:)

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes_charrel at yahoo.com
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:18:36 -0800

Marna Nightingale wrote:

> What messes with little girl's heads (and little boys) is, um, sexist
> childrearing. (I shock you? I thought not...)

Hear, hear!
I am seeing this in action with my husband's goddaughter. I grumble. We
still buy the girly doll set du jour, because I remember being a kid,
loving pink frilly dresses, and hating adults who always thought they
knew better than I what kind of presents I really wanted.

OTOH, *I* would *also* ask for and get toy cars, and Legos (they came
out with pink, minimum-building-skills-required "for girls" legos!!!
Look like slightly blocky Barbies!). I have seen the girl being pushed
this way, always getting the gender correct toys, while her brother, of
course, gets boyz stuff. She doesn't even know she could want/ask for
anything else.

Toys are only the visible part of the iceberg though. What makes this so
annoying to me is that I usually see in in conjunction with the attitude
that "she is a girl, she doesn't need to be above average in school,
especially not in "boy" oriented subjects".

> Hemorrhage when she puts Barbie in the microwave for 30 seconds
> and insists that 'now she looks more like Mommy(*)"

<rotflolastc>
Thanks for making my day, Marna...

Agnes