[LMB] Re: Military & Society ot:

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes_charrel at yahoo.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:44:14 -0800 (PST)

--- POUNCER <altpouncer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Rosen <ndrosen at erols.com> wrote:
>
> > Shrewd question!  A service culture might actually work,
> > in  some sense, but if "Vor" were replaced by "Party," the
> > flavor  of the books would surely be different.
>
> Who's invited?
>
> I had the impression this was sort of the
> approach in Singapore.  You come from the
> right family, AND get into the right schools,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

> AND do well in socially approved businesses;
> THEN you are invited to join the party REGARDLESS
> of your ethnic or religious background
<snip>

Doesn't the "right family bit" make the "regardless of your ethnic or
religious background" more or less moot?

It would depend on how the initial set of right families is defined,
obviously.

> Amway, with power.

Agnes, who has no idea what Amway is.

=====
http://www.charrel.net/

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely
what a feminist is, I only know that people call me
a feminist whenever I express sentiments that
differentiate me from a doormat" - Rebecca West, 1913