[LMB] Re: Military & Society ot:

Dave Klecha dklecha at i2k.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:33:32 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, POUNCER wrote:

> Nicholas Rosen <ndrosen at erols.com> wrote:
> > Karen Kuhn wrote:
> >
> > > Question - if "Vor" was replaced by "Party", would the
> > idea of a service
> > > culture actually working still make sense
>
> > Shrewd question!  A service culture might actually work,
> > in  some sense, but if "Vor" were replaced by "Party," the
> > flavor  of the books would surely be different.
>
> Who's invited?
>
> I had the impression this was sort of the
> approach in Singapore.  You come from the
> right family, AND get into the right schools,
> AND do well in socially approved businesses;
> THEN you are invited to join the party REGARDLESS
> of your ethnic or religious background WHEREUPON
> your primary job is to seek out family/school/business
> persons like yourself for inclusion.
>
> Amway, with power.

Amway's kinda different, though.  That's a situation where *everyone* is
invited (with a sort of evangelism that makes most missionaries say, "Now,
wait a second, that's being a bit forward..."), and if you refuse the
invitation, you're deemed unworthy for future socialization and should
promptly be ostracized.  The elitism is the same, the approach different.
And it's actually in their literature that way.

Living in Amway Central has its moments, let me tell you.

Dave (the Grand Rapidian)
http://www.daveman.org