[LMB] OT: On Simpson's quote

Susan Profit tinne at eskimo.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:21:09 -0800 (PST)

Back in my college days as a senior I had a fun guy named Steve
Willis (who I had first met working on the high school annual together
but sparks hadn't flown then) as a lover. Steve was a cartoonist and
his best friend in college was a not-quite-as-skinny red haired guy
named Matt.

Steve's father's favorite quote about how organized religions abused
people in his POV was "They way they treat people would make Baby
Jesus cry." Steve also used this a lot.

Steve and Matt agreed that Matt was by far the best cartoonist, but
the two of them had had so many adventures it was a hoot seeing the
two of them swapping stories back and forth. Anything Groening
includes to do with Shetland ponies will lay me on the floor knowing
what happened to Matt around Steve's father's small herd.

When I first heard about the Simpsons coming out, I started to watch
to see how Matt had turned out. What was more fun than any of the rest
of it was hearing direct quotes from Steve and watching versions of
those same stories presented in the shows. But Matt is not responsible
for the quote. Steve's father is.

Susan in Seattle