[LMB] Men in Education ot:

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:09:44 -0600

On Monday, February 4, 2002, at 06:38 PM, POUNCER wrote:

> Maybe we should establish a draft for teachers.
> Assuming teaching is no less important than
> fighting wars, and that it IS important the
> mass of participants reflect the make up
> of society, generally.

We haven't gotten to your assumption as a society yet?  Well, we'll talk
it, but not pay for it.
For that matter, the number of people qualified to teach is limited as
well, though not nearly as much as the number willing to teach.  But I
think it's just impractical as a model.

As you'll note, everybody has come out against the military draft except
in time of dire need, while simply raising the pay of teachers could
solve the supply issue there.  (And would do the same for soldiers, but
it seems we prefer for them to be a little more selecting anyway)

> What's wrong with the comparison?

See above commentary on society.

Andrew