[LMB] OT: The Zone and genetic relations

POUNCER altpouncer at yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 07:19:42 -0800 (PST)

Louann Miller <louann_m at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The (ghosted) autobiography "Harpo Speaks" includes the
> story of how Harpo and his wife adopted four children
> The "how we got  to have you" story was a favorite
> bedtime story of the  kids from very  early childhood
> and apparently made them feel  extra-specially-wanted
> rather than the reverse. I always thought that was the
> right way to do it, whether the child then wants to
> go in search of genetic  parents later on  or not.

There is a growing body of children's literature
built around the theme; most famously Jamie
Lee Curtis's _Tell Me Again about The Night I Was
Born_.  (Not deserving of the fame, as a book,
but carrying over derivitive fame from the actress/
author.)

Then there is _Stellaluna_ about a bat adopted
by birds.  Great pictures, nice story, horrible
message.  (Your adoptive <bird>mother will deny your
true nature and make you eat bugs... but your
_real_ <bat>mother is always out there searching for
you and when you fly free she will find you and love
you forever after -- correctly!)

_A Mother for Choco_ is cute and silly/fun about
how kids don't always look like the parents who
love them.

The whole thing is kinda like a Hallmark card,
for when you don't care  quite enough
//////  aren't confident enough to tell your
own story in your own words...  Better than
ignoring the event, though.