[LMB] OT: The Zone and genetic relations

Eric Oppen oppen at cnsinternet.com
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:04:29 -0600

> --- Kiri Aradia Morgan <tiamat at tsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > But seriously, if I were more malleable than I am, I'd probably have
> > believed all those stories about what the procedure, and about what not
> > knowing what some of the anti-adoption folks like to call "your
> > REEEEEEEEEEEEEAL parents", would do to me, and then, of course, it would
> > have happened.
>
> Side note: I knew there were people who make dire predictions about
> cross-racial adoptions, but I didn't know there was an anti-adoption
> school of thought in general. Humans, go fig.
>
> The (ghosted) autobiography "Harpo Speaks" includes the story of how Harpo
> and his wife adopted four children starting during WWII. The "how we got
> to have you" story was a favorite bedtime story of the kids from very
> early childhood, and apparently made them feel extra-specially-wanted
> rather than the reverse. I always thought that was the right way to do it,
> whether the child then wants to go in search of genetic parents later on
> or not.
>
> Louann

An acquaintance (friend-of-a-friend) is adopted, and moans about "Born to be
rejected; rejected since the day I was born."  He feels that his adoptive
folks adopted him because they wanted cheap farm labor.

Of course, he is a mass of maladjustments in a lot of ways---I'd be curious
to meet his genetic progenitors, to see if this is hereditary.  His social
skills are so undeveloped that he's been more-or-less made unwelcome..._in
fandom!_  He's a lot like the character "Harold" on _The Red Green Show,_ if
you know what I mean.

The thing that makes me want to weep and swear and pound somebody's head
against the wall is that the guy _is_ talented in a lot of ways---a heckuva
draftsman and pen-and-ink artist, skilled nuc-plant worker, mechanically
very skilled.  However, he _insists_ on using his art as a way to scratch
his obsessions, and then taking this stuff to comics cons...and then pouting
and throwing temper tantrums (literally!  I've seen this guy do it!) when
the pros don't leap all over him with offers to make him God-Emperor of
Comic Books.  He longs for comic book success---but will NOT accept that
here and now, the mainstream comic book industry is pretty much
superhero-dominated, and is NOT intended for him to deal with his obsession
with Busty Amazons.  (Before anybody gets after me about the figures on
women in superhero comics, I want to make clear that _this_ guy's drawings
are about ten thousand times more exaggerated---and that _male_ superheroes
are also not realistically drawn; it's a convention of the genre like big
eyes in Japanese comics)

If anybody is interested to see his work, try a websearch for the word
"Flexia" and you should turn up his site.