[LMB] OT: Medalert bracelets and the like

Nora Bombay nbombay at mindspring.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:50:00 -0500

Diane E wrote:

 >For a not-too-outrageous fee, you can have your pet implanted with a
>permanent ID-chip. Then if it's ever lost and picked up by an Animal
>Control officer (or dropped off at the Humane Society), they'll scan
>for the chip, ID you, and call you to tell you to come get the animal.

The fee is about $20. They don't let you get a dog or cat out of the Tampa
Humane Society with out chipping it first. The cost is included in the $65
or so you pay to get the animal, which includes, a spay/neuter, shots, a
heartworm test, and the chip.

As those who have met my Tucker will agree, worth every penny.

The information is updatable in a way. You get a telephone number to call,
and you can update your contact information with them. The ID number of the
animal stays the same, but when they call it in, they get your current
name/phone number. They also give you a little yellow tab to add to the
dogs normal tags, and that has the number of the dog written out on it, and
the phone number.

The only problem with the system?

Generally it is used by the same responsible pet owners who keep their
animals leashed, or under control. The ones who don't allow the animal to
run loose. And the ones who keep a dog wearing tags and registered with the
local government.

Elizabeth, big fan of the chip.