[LMB] Imperial Auditors, what took the Vorkosigans so long?

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes_charrel at yahoo.com
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:44:45 -0800 (PST)

--- Royce Day <Royce_Day at choicehotels.com> wrote:
> This came up during an off-list discussion with DianeE.  In _Memory_,
> Aral notes that Miles is the first Vorkosigan to ever be assigned to
> the post of Imperial Auditor [...]
>
> The question I propose is: Why?  Especially with House Vorkosigan's
> long history of service and loyalty to the Imperium?
<snip Aral>

> Piotr OTOH is a bit more of a problem.  He'd been apparently retired
> from his military life well before Cordelia showed up on the
> Vorkosigan doorstep.

> Either his duties as Count would have conflicted with
> being an Auditor, or there where things Ezar would prefer
> him not to have access to, when an Auditor has access to
> *everything*.

I don't think a Count can be an Auditor. Major conflict of interest,
here. Miles himself is threading a very fine line, especially in ACC,
and will probably have to resign his Auditorship when he inherits the
Countship.

And Piotr probably became a Count before he retired as General. I can't
remember if his parents where buried in the plot at Vorkosigan Surleau
or not - if not it would mean he became a Count in his twenties (before
or when Vorkosigan Vashnoi was slagged by the Cetagandans), right?

Note that textev (_Memory_, Miles, Delia and Laisa meet Vorparadijs at
the Imperial Residence) shows that Bloody Pierre Vorrutyer, while being
Emperor Dorca's right hand, never was an Auditor either.

IIRC Miles implies that the Emperor traditionally used his Auditors, to
check on the Counts aka. accountants, and that the job grew from there.
I don't see how a Count could be an Auditor.

Agnes

=====
http://www.charrel.net/

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely
what a feminist is, I only know that people call me
a feminist whenever I express sentiments that
differentiate me from a doormat" - Rebecca West, 1913