[LMB] OT: request for opinions of a book series

Eric Oppen oppen at cnsinternet.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 00:53:57 -0600

> I have just gotten hooked by the Liaden books. I read the first one to a
> large extent because of the positive things stated here about them. I
> figured if so many LMB fans liked these books, they were worth trying.
>
> Anyhow, I commented on another mailing list that rarely, a plot will catch
> me when the characters don't (as with some classic space opera which often
> have somewhat one-dimensional characters), but usually it is the
characters
> that get me caught.
>
> Someone responded by recommending the Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh
> trilogy (Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds, Jinx on a Terran Inheritance, Fall
> of the White Ship Avatar) series by Brian Daley. Before I run off and find
> copies at some used book store (according to Amazon, they are out of
print),
> I'd like some second opinions.
>
> Looks like I can trust the opinions I get here, at least to a large
extent!

> Thanks,
> Christine

I loved them.  I've been using them as a sort-of-template for a writing
project of my own---two mismatched companions having adventures as they
knock around a wildly varied galaxy.

A lot of things are really pretty funny---like what happens when a protocol
component is removed from a translation robot, allowing both sides of a
conversation to hear what the other is _really_ saying.  "You contemptible
little sublife!  I have abberant sex with your deity!"  \

A lot of the situations Floyt and Fitzhugh get into would be just Miles'
sort of scene---and I think that if they were ever to meet, Miles
Vorkosigan, Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh would find they had a lot in
common.