[LMB] Rabid Foaming Weasels OT:

TheOTThug at aol.com TheOTThug at aol.com
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:54:27 EST

Eric Oppen wrote:

> I like to explain to people that, contrary to popular
> opinion and rumors, I am NOT superhuman and SUCK
>ROYALLY at mind-reading.  "I am a _guy,_ and I Do Not
>Do ambiguity...or hints...or indirection.

Agreed.  A lot of my arguments with my wife lie here.
Example:  Charlotte:  Would you like to eat Chinese food
tonight?  Jeff hears:  Would you like to eat Chinese
food tonight.  Charlotte means:  I would like Chinese
food tonight.  Jeff answers:  No.  Jeff means:  Chinese
food would not be my choice.  Charlotte hears:  No, you
may not have Chinese food.

How much simpler to have:  Charlotte:  I would like to
eat Chinese food tonight.  Is that acceptable to you?  Jeff:  Wouldn't be my first choice, but it is fine with
me.

Jeff Parker