[LMB] Uh, oh--Pilot's Ranting Again... [OT:]

hvalli at mindspring.com hvalli at mindspring.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:52:20 -0500

<quoted material starts here>
From: iyap at toad.net
Subject: Re: [LMB] Uh, oh--Pilot's Ranting Again... [OT:]
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:05:51 -0500 (EST)
<snip>
> <snip>Non-verbal
> clues stymie me most of the time. Am I just
> the exception that proves the rule?

Well, if you're an exception, then so am I.
I once went months without realizing my roommate
and all her friends were mad at me.
<snip>

> Am I just an aberration? Is there a more
> logical explanation? Or, perhaps, are these
> theories in need of more testing?

Maybe personality type has something to do with it.
What about the Sensing/Intuitive trait in the
Myers-Briggs profile?

On a side-note, this thread has been really useful
to me. I was stressing out about something a boy
said to me, but now I realize he meant exactly what
he said, and I've stopped over-analyzing the comment.

___________________
Ivy Yap
<quoted material ends here>

Add me to the female-yet-clueless list. When I read the LMB line
about some guys needing to be hit with a large brick, I had
flashbacks to my friends saying the same thing about me, albeit
in different contexts.

I have been trying to learn the clues for several years, and in
some instances I think I'm getting pretty good at it, but the
parallels others have mentioned about learning a foreign
language ring pretty true to me. And, as with partly learned
second languages, there's something of a time lag. There's this
whole process. [Hmmm. I'm missing something from the
conversation. What does the body language say? <observe, run
against the checklist I've culled from books and direct feedback,
analyse in context of conversation> OK, she's pissed about
something. ] After anywhere from 5 seconds to a couple of
minutes of (probably infuriating) silence, I can say, "Is there
something that's upsetting you?"

Not the basis for scintillating conversation. On the whole I prefer
e-mail.

I've also noticed the comments about this being something
learned early in life. I spent the first several years of socialization
(between 4 and 8) half deaf and extremely nearsighted. Because
I was deaf in one ear I was put in the front row of every class, so
no one knew I needed glasses rather desperately. I learned later
that most of the kids assumed I was a snob because I wouldn't
hear them say "Hi" or see them wave--I just walked on by. When I
was 9 I finally got glasses, and my social life improved a quite bit
at the same time. So it's entirely likely I missed out initially on
learning a lot of the physical cues.

As far as the Myers-Briggs profile goes, I'm an intp, Ivy. If you
come to any conclusions on whether the MB stuff has any
bearing, I'd love to hear about it.

OB: Miles spent a lot of his early childhood in bed or in hospitals.
While I know he played a bit with Ivan, Gregor, and the Koudelka
girls, I'm under the impression that he spent a lot more time with
adults than most kids. Does anyone else think this might have
skewed his cue reading, not to mention his relationships with
supposed authority figures? I remember that scene in
Ceteganda where he has to remind himself that this is one
emperor with whom he didn't play as a child. But also, the way
he learned to read adults, specifically adult authority figures, and
manipulate them into doing his wishes strikes me as good
training for someone who needs to do the same with, oh, say,
the heads of a band of mercenaries, or his immediate military
superiors.

Heather V.