[LMB] OT: Iain Banks' Culture and Pets

Damien Raphael phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:49:18 -0800

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 11:24:20AM -0800, Mark Atwood wrote:

> The counterpoint to "there is a continuity of births" is that,
> according to /Notes.../, the current fashion of biological flesher
> existance is exactly that, a fashion, and that in the past, the
> fashion had tilted over to where most of the "human level
> intellegences" were uploads.

You sure?  I see a reference to spending most of their lives in
cyberspace, but that's different:

   The Culture recognises, expects and incorporates fashions - albeit
   long-term fashions - in such matters. It can look back to times when
   people lived much of their lives in what we would now call cyberspace,
   and to eras when people chose to alter themselves or their children
   through genetic manipulation, producing a variety of morphological
   sub-species. Remnants of the various waves of such civilisational
   fashions can be found scattered throughout the Culture, and virtually
   everyone in the Culture carries the results of genetic manipulation in
   every cell of their body; it is arguably the most reliable signifier
   of Culture status.

At least, I take the cyberspace as a bunch of Matrix-like bodies with
the minds off in VR.

-xx- Damien X-)