[LMB] Best One-Liners

Scott Raun sraun at fireopal.org
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:22:31 -0600

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:13:54PM -0500, Shalom Septimus wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:43:13 -0600, Scott Raun <sraun at fireopal.org>
> wrote:
>
> >(_ indicates start or stop of italics)
>
> Actually, by convention. _this is underlining_.
>
> /This is italic/, and *this is boldface*.
>
> At least that's been my experience in my 8 years on usenet.

<soapbox> And I learned my conventions leading into publishing (don't
ask me how!) many years ago (on the order of 20? Maybe more?).
Underlining told the type-setter "This is supposed to be in italics" -
and that's what I've done ever since.

// are comment indicators as I learned them - I'd have to go check my
documentation, but _some_ language uses that as the 'don't try to
compile this' separator.

There are limited times I believe in under-lining - one of them is to
indicate web links, another is to set off header rows at the top of
tables (but I prefer lines all the way across, not just under the
header word.)
</soapbox>

Just out of curiosity, which newsgroups were you hanging out in to
learn the convention that way?  / is _so_ easily confused with \,
which a lot of *nix software uses as a 'line continues' indicator.  I
find it difficult to see how they got into that habit - _any_ time I
see / or \ used as delimiter in text, it confuses me.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org