[LMB] OT: Commercials as cultural artifacts

Meg Justus megj at nwlink.com
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 16:41:15 -0800

> Khenta said:
> > You mean, in the US they don't?
>
> Not unless you count movie previews as commercials, no.
>
> Hey! Have we found a way the US is *less* commerically-focused (or
> capitalist, or money-grubbing, or whatever you want to call it) than
> Europe?  :)

I have to agree with Geoffrey.  It depends on which theater you go to here
in the Seattle area (the art houses don't generally show them, the bigger
the chain and the newer the theater, the more likely they are to).  Some of
them can be rather amusing.  The Mountain Dew commercial with the guy
butting heads with the bighorn sheep was funny.

Then again, I'm one of those people who pays more attention to the Super
Bowl commercials than the game.  Except for the last five minutes of the
most recent one...

Meg