[LMB] OT: List traffic explosion

Mark Atwood mra at pobox.com
10 Feb 2002 12:13:15 -0800

"Michael Bauminger" <mikebomb at myrealbox.com> writes:

> I know I am having problems. It is late Saturday night/early Sunday
> morning, and I still have over 500 unread messages - since Thursday.
> 500 messages in (about) 3 days is very difficult for me to deal with.
> Filtering out the OT stuff is not the way to go because some of the
> best discussions on this list are off topic.
>
> I want to read it all, yet I do not have the time to do it. Anyone
> have *any* suggestions for me?

What mailreader do you use?

I use emacs/gnus, which split each mailing list I'm a member of into
a seperate folder, and then in each one, resort the messages into
threads and then score up/down each according to poster, subject, whether
it's a reply to a message of mine, etc...

I can deal with high priority messages instantly this way, and deal
with recreational mail at my leasure. (Plus, since I'm on a laptop, I
can do it when I have a 20 minutes in a waiting room, etc)

--
Mark Atwood   | Well done is better than well said.
mra at pobox.com |