[LMB] LMB science in real life

Casey Allison cameramom00 at yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:42:57 -0800 (PST)

--- Claudia Muir <claudia at bookcase.com> wrote:

>> Gelfand also warned that artificial wombs could
have unexpected consequences for working women and
health insurance. 'They would mean that women would no
longer need maternity leave - which employers could
become increasingly reluctant to give. <<

   I fail to see why this would be a consequence-- Oh,
wait. *Insurance companies*. Of course.... <G>

   But seriously... Maternity leave, as I understand
it, is simply a granted period of time, IOW not
necessarily only pre-birth. If a pregnancy goes easily
enough, New Mom might opt to take most or even all of
it for that far more exhausting first six weeks at
home with New Baby. Until they come up with the Nanny
Replicator, the UR alone wouldn't automatically do
away with maternity leaves. Or it *shouldn't*.

   I'm sure I've read of some companies also granting
maternity leave to New Dads, which makes great sense
to me as well, not to mention being far less sexist
than the assumption that Mom Does It All (or "Should")
and Dad would only be in the way.

   ~~ Casey, whose husband didn't get M.L., but did
made himself enormously useful whenever he could.