[LMB] LMB science in real life

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:56:25 -0600

On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 10:42 AM, Casey Allison wrote:

> Until they come up with the Nanny
> Replicator, the UR alone wouldn't automatically do
> away with maternity leaves. Or it *shouldn't*.

Think 'creche'.

>    I'm sure I've read of some companies also granting
> maternity leave to New Dads, which makes great sense
> to me as well, not to mention being far less sexist
> than the assumption that Mom Does It All (or "Should")
> and Dad would only be in the way.

I think it came about when some places found out they payed and needed
Mom more than Dad.  Which would be quite common on Beta, and much less
true on Barrayar.  It will be the breaking of women into previously male
only jobs that will lead to widespread  replicator use on Barrayar, I
think.  Not the other way around.

Andrew