[LMB] SPOILERS DI chapter 6 from webscriptions

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:10:24 -0600

On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 10:40 AM, Laura Gallagher wrote:

> Caution - spoiler discussion follows, of chapter 6 of DI, from the
> webscriptions.  You Have Been Warned.  Trying again...
>
> Given the request to mark chapters, I shall only discuss stuff from 6.
> (twitch.  so of course, there will be More To Come.)

>> CHAPTER SIX
>
>> The herm conducted them to a hushed and serene
>> restaurant on the grav side of the station <snip>
>> the place bowed to quaddie architectural ideals by
>> having tables set on their own private pillars at varying
>> heights, using all three dimensions of the room.
>
> Boy, this reminded me of the restaurant that H*n*r H*rr*ngt*n and her
> guests/armsmen were shot at in one of W*b*r's books... I was glad
> there was no shooting in this scene.

It didn't strike me as so, but I would feel REALLY weird in an
environment like that, with people seated below and above me.

>> Bel talks about making a commitment to the Union,
>> yet . . . somehow, never gets around to applying."
>>      "I'm sure Bel's interested in doing so," Miles offered.
>
> Ouch - poor Miles.  Feeling guilty?

How much of a plot point will Miles feeling of guilt be in general, and
especially so in the next chapter after 10?

>> "Do you know, when Bel arrived at Graf Station, it
>> still had that Betan dollar I'd paid you on Jackson's
>> Whole tucked in its wallet?"
>> Miles managed to stop the logical query, Are you
>> sure it was the same one?
>
> Oh, Miles!  Really.  I'm sure Bel is sentimental enough to have kept
> it.

It's been a while since I read it, so did Bel actually get the dollar
from Miles?  I'd assume he did, but it would take a reread.

>>  Please do not judge all Barrayarans by our worst
>> examples." Well, she can't; we actually don't ship out
>> our worst, Gregor be praised.
>
> OUCH.  True... but still ouch.

Gregor be praised is likely to be a common thought among moderate
Barrayarans, I'd think.

>> "Um, er," said Miles. "Quaddies are not interfertile with
>> downsiders, surely?"
>>      "Well, one has to make choices, before they go into the
>> replicators, just as a herm crossing with a monosexual has
>> to choose whether to have the genetics adjusted to produce
>> a boy or a girl or a herm.
>
> Oh, THANK YOU, Lois, for clearing that up.  That has been the source
> of so many discussions in my household!  (Presumably herm+herm would
> just produce herms?)

Well, they could naturally decide to have their child modified to be
either gender as well, I should think.  I thought the idea of a Quaddie
herm would be interesting, but worried what it would be like to be the
only one of your species and gender growing up somewhere.  Does Beta has
separate bathrooms for genders?  Do Herms use one, the other, both, or
their own?

My guess is male, given the bulge mentioned several times.  More
convienent.  But I could easily be wrong.

>> Bel, show Lord Vorkosigan your baby pictures!"
>>      Miles's head swiveled around. "What?"
>
> Oh, WHAT a reaction.  For a moment I really thought Bel had news he
> hadn't passed on yet.

Me too.  "Kids!!"

>> "A little quaddie girl, to start. Like Nicol." Bel's face
>> softened, then, abruptly, recovered its habitual ironic smile.
>> "Assuming I take the plunge and apply for my Union citizenship."
>
> oh, that's gotta hurt.  Yeah, Miles, see this adorable picture?
> They'd like to have this cute little girl - as soon as YOU clear the
> roadblock out of the way.  And as he's finally gotten HIS kids on the
> way, quite a guilt-trip for him to deal with. His pictures may be
> "blastular", but at least they're real, not hypothetical.
>
> Do you suppose Bel carries this holocube around all the time?  Or had
> Bel primed Nicol to bring the subject up somehow?

Garnet brought it up.  Nicol is playing.  Now, I really don't think
Garnet was primed by Bel, at this time.  At some future time when I've
read more and perhaps think differently about his role, it's a
possibility.  But as of now I don't see it like him.

>> Quaddie males, athletic and vastly enthusiastic, in
>> skin-fitting ship knits made splendid with glitter.
>
> Ah, we have Marna's future occupation - makeup artist for the
> Minchenko Ballet...

Skin fitting ship knits...  I guess that's the Quaddie clothing style,
after where they came from.

Does this mean we need to make Ian into a Quaddie for next Con?

>> Drumming.
> <snip>
>> The air pulsed with the rhythm of their drumming: drums
>> of all sizes, round, oblong, two-headed; not only played
>> by each holder, but some batted back and forth among
>> them in an eye-and-ear-stunning cross between music and
>> juggling,
>
> <digression>
> Reminds me of a truly MARVELOUS performance I once saw by the Flying
> Karamazov Brothers.  Not that they were actually juggling the drums,
> but they were juggling and playing them.  Amazing.  If they're still
> performing (anyone know?), go see 'em.  If they're performing in LA,
> somebody tell me so *I* can buy tickets.

Flying Karamazov Brothers?  That sounds worth seeing, although I hadn't
heard of them before.

> For that matter, Miles's thoughts on marching bands made me think of
> the Madison Scouts.  Anybody seen them?  We think Barrayarans would
> love 'em.
> </digression>

Of course they would love them, it's exactly what they were.  I love the
Scouts, though I'm biased from being a Boy Scout.  They're not tops in
DCI, and the local Corps of choice in my circle is Blue Coats, with
Phantom Regiment having a following among drummers.  But I like the
Scouts.

I wonder if we'll ever get a chance to see a Barrayaran Marching Band in
full regalia on performance in some later book.

>> "It's all right. Leo Graf's supposed to dance like an
>> engineer.  He was."
>
> That got my engineer husband Karl howling with laughter.

Me too.  I'm not even an Engineer.  But I'm afraid to see what the Pilot
will dance like.