[LMB] LMB science in real life

iyap at toad.net iyap at toad.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:50:46 -0500 (EST)

I love the internet!  A Google search on "Philippines
paternity leave" turned up:

The "Paternity Leave Act of 1996" - an act granting
paternity leave of seven (7) days with full pay to
all married male employees in the private and public
sectors for the first four (4) deliveries of the
legitimate spouse with whom he is cohabiting and for
other purposes... For purposes, of this Act, delivery
shall include childbirth  or any miscarriage.

Full text found at:
http://www.chanrobles.com/legal4paternity.htm

Not sure if companies go out of their way to publicize
the fact that married men can take paternity leave.
One of the guys I used to work with only found out about
it when he complained about having to use up his
vacation leave because there was no male equivalent of
maternity leave.

- Ivy

Quoting Casey Allison <cameramom00 at yahoo.com>:

> --- iyap at toad.net wrote:
>
> > Data point: in the Philippines, fathers can take
> > about 5 days (not sure of exact number) paternity
> > leave when their wife has a child.
>
>    That's very sensible, as is the policy in Sweden
> that Bo pointed out. Just as a curiosity, you both
> seem to be saying that this is a nationwide *law* in
> your countries, as opposed to the US, wherein it's
> still strictly a company policy? Please clarify?

Ivy Yap
iyap at toad.net

This mail sent via toadmail.com, web e-mail @ ToadNet - want to go fast?
http://www.toadmail.com