OT: Re: [LMB] Re: SciFi band, BDU size

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:04:50 -0500

At 17:53 02/10/2002 -0800, Mark Atwood wrote:

>Do they allow them to be (ObMiles) custom tailored?

Damned if I know.  Most everyone I knew while working for the USAF wore
stuff stright off the base clothing store's shelves.  Although I must admit
I remember one guy who wore these extra-shiny boots (like patent
leather!  only boots).  I don't know about USAF regs on boots, but the Army
officially says that boots should be black, but NOT shiny (shiny may
reflect light, giving away a position in combat).  No inspecting officer or
NCO ever read that part of the manual, of course; nothing short of a high
spit-shine was acceptable.

In the late 1950s, while I was in the Navy, there were clothing stores just
outside the main gate of every base, offering tailored uniforms--although
not, normally, working uniforms.  It was common for a sailor's liberty
uniform to be so tight that a zipper up one side seam was necessary to get
into the jumper.  Usually, things like serge instead of melton for blues,
or silk instead of cotton for whites, was frowned upon.  Embroidery under
the collar and inside the cuffs of blues was also popular.  I don't think
the USAF ever went in for stuff like that.