[LMB] Request Help With RTFM OT:

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:31:40 -0500

At 10:42 AM 2/8/2002 -0800, Casey Allison wrote:
>    I have a help request to make, since I've noticed
>several recent refs about Manuals from both sides of
>the page (readers of and writers of, that is). I'm
>currently attempting to self-study Excel 2000, using
>Greg Harvey's "For Dummies" book, and am going totally
>mind-numb with it. Not only is it dull subject matter,
>but the book's so drearily written. Can anyone suggest
>a better/faster/more engaging substitute?
>   ~~ Casey A.

Oh, you poor *baby*.  I would never inflict a "Dummies" series book on
my worst enemy. I do *highly* recommend Alpha Books "Complete Idiots
Guides".  They are simplified, yes, but they have a much nicer attitude
than the dummies have.  {I've found that the dummies books tend to be
snarky and snide as well as having gaps in what they are covering.}

I really liked "Idiots" overview of Office 97, and the version for
Office 2000 should be just as good.  And I'm saying this from the
viewpoint of tech-support-geek who was dealing with folks who knew
nothing about computers and word processing or spreadsheets.  They'd
come up with questions that I didn't know the answer too and I'd grab
my copy of "Idiots" and look up what I need to know.  I've also used it
to personally learn things like Unix.

Pat in North Carolina
--
* Patricia A. Swan <*> zafaran at dnet.net; @newsguy.com; @sff.net *