[LMB] Naming conventions

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:12:45 -0500

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Margaret Dean wrote:

#Amy Sikes Haskins wrote:
#>
#> Okay.  I'm pretty sure we've been over this before, but I'm not
#> sure when and so am not going looking in the archives (anyone
#> who does know is welcome to point me in the right direction).
#>
#> But.  Could someone who understands this stuff better than I
#> explain whynheck Harriet Vane becomes Lady Peter??  This just
#> seems so...odd.
#
#Well, she can't be "Lady Harriet" because that would imply she
#was the daughter of an Earl or higher (like Lady Mary Wimsey,
#later Lady Mary Parker).  She can't be "Lady Wimsey" because that
#would imply that her husband was "Lord Wimsey," and he isn't --
#he's "Lord Peter."  Therefore she's "Lady Peter."

And this is very nicely laid out pretty early on in _Busman's
Honeymoon_.

-- Mark A. Mandel, pleased to be able to point to textev in Sayers!