[LMB] Sociological Studies of Fandom OT:

Casey Allison cameramom00 at yahoo.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:31:08 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Eric Oppen wrote:

> Come to it---have anthropologists ever studied the
SF-fan subculture the way they would, say, the exotic
"Bumblestanis?"  I'd be interested to read any studies
that have been done. <

   There was some sort of study of fandom, I believe
titled "Textual Poachers" (OWTTE), but it was quite a
while ago, IIRC. I've only heard of it, never read it,
and really don't know if it's quite what you have in
mind, but... there you go. There is *something*.

~ Casey