[LMB] Re: OT: Non-verbal communications

Marna Nightingale marna at redmaplegrove.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:58:30 -0500

jshawhan at nycap.rr.com wrote:

> > > So the next step is to tell us what we're broadcasting, and how, so we
> > > can start learning.
> >
> > And THAT is the 100 foot step with the splashy landing...
> >
> Is it like the answer to the friend's question of "why aren't you
> interested in me?"

Worse. It involves being accused of telling someone else what they think and
feel.

I just found a great line in Tannen; we don't "just say what we mean" because we
can't: the totality of exactly what we mean does not exist in words.

Ever tried to explain a movie in words? It's nothing like seeing the movie,
right?

Marna.

--
Marna Nightingale
marna at redmaplegrove.org
~~~~~
"Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact,
be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men."
St. Augustine.