[LMB] OT: Real World Spellcasting

Louann Miller louann_m at yahoo.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:31:20 -0600

At 04:34 PM 2/13/2002 -0500, Royce wrote:

>POUNCER wrote:
>
> >   Which is to suggest the
> > fundies get riled if readers suspend disbelief regarding
> > a Sorcerer's Stone AND if readers  suspend _belief_
> > regarding the rapture.
>
>If I'm reading you right, you're saying that fundies *can't* claim that
>HP's magic is fictional, because that would mean their enjoyment of a
>novel based on the Rapture is pure fantasy as well.  Which is a sad
>thing to think, because that would mean they're unable to open their
>minds to thinking about an Idea just *because*, and not requiring it to
>connect to anything really relevant beyond a simple pleasure.

Sad, but at least sometimes true. I have had conversations with a
particular Fundie (did I mention I frequent talk.origins) who was unwilling
to let pass _any_ statement that he considered fudging the line between
fact and fiction, such as "Tom Sawyer was Huck Finn's best friend" or
"Unicorns have one horn." Tom, Huck, and unicorns are _not real_ and
therefore for him no statements at all can be made about them.

I think part of it is that nobody's born knowing how to look at things from
more than one point of view. Most of us are taught the skill at an early
age ("How would you like it if you were a girl and someone pulled _your_
ponytail?") at least to some extent. Others of us, and fandom averages well
to the right of that bell curve, go further and actively try to get into
other worldviews for the entertainment value.  ("To a Klingon, your ideas
make no sense.") But it does take time to learn, and it can be rather
painful at the start. If you drum into someone early enough and long enough
that there is only one REAL worldview, their own, and that nothing else
really counts, it can become a permanent blinder. Especially if a tendency
to actively resist contradictory ideas as evil is part of the conditioning.

Louann