[LMB] Now OT: Thoughts on Miles and Ekaterin's wedding

Marna Nightingale marna at redmaplegrove.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:22:39 -0500

"Damien R. Sullivan" wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:50:25PM -0500, Marna Nightingale wrote:
>
> > I think it's much the same attitude towards weddings: you're not going to wear
> > the SAME $4500.00 fluffy white dress (we hope), and who has the money or the
>
> <male, or maybe geek>
> Whyever not?  Seems silly to spend $4500 on a dress you'll wear once.
> </male or geek>

Serious answer: ritually, it just does not work.

The paraphenalia from oath one does not work as part of oath two, unless they
are complimentary, not contradictory oaths, and you WISH to mingle them.

(You might wear the robe you wore at your dedication to your initiation; you
wouldn't wear the robe you wore at your handfasting to Jane for your handfasting
to Julia. You don't give the ring that Greta threw back at you one stormy night
to Gertrude. You CAN give the ring your mother or grandmother wore to Gertrude.)

Carrying paraphenalia over brings the energy of event one into event two. At
second weddings, this is not usually appropriate or desired.

A Christian or agnostic or whatever might not express it quite that way, but I
suspect they'd have basically  the same reservations.

Marna.

--
Marna Nightingale
marna at redmaplegrove.org
~~~~~
"Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact,
be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men."
St. Augustine.