[LMB] Fandom Studies, AQ test OT:

Laura Gallagher kelts at earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:44:57 -0800

> Wired has a self-test for autistic/Asberger tendencies,
<snippage>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html
<snippity>
> Eighty
> percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored
32 or
> higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and
many who
> score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism
or
> Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.

Personally, I recommend the articles as well as the test - I found
them absolutely *fascinating*.  Of course, with an autistic son, I'm
biased.  What boggled me is how many of the traits discussed sounded
like me and my family, and many of my friends.  My son is just like
us - only more concentrated.  IIRC, I scored something like a 34 or 36
on the test - and I thought I was being a bit optimistic, as I was
answering various social situation questions as based on dealing with
groups of us-fan-types rather than groups of mundanes.

Laura Gallagher