[LMB] Fandom Studies, AQ test OT:

Marna Nightingale marna at redmaplegrove.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:34:50 -0500

Kiri Aradia Morgan wrote:

> I also hate it when I'm forced to endure the "My Husband/Boyfriend is Such
> a Jerk" type conversation.  One of my personality-related firings was due
> to being in an office where this was the preferred form of female bonding.

Heh. I have a theory about this.

B*tching lets you bond; it's that "we're-all-in-the-same-boat-here" thing.

Talking about your partner's coolness, good looks, etcetera, is felt as
competitive and divisive.

Not talking about your personal life at all is felt as 'stuck--up', especialy if
you're female.

Marna, who's been known to both do AND dislike all three. Context is all.

--
Marna Nightingale
marna at redmaplegrove.org
~~~~~
"Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact,
be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men."
St. Augustine.