[LMB] Expected Bug rates and future tech [Vol 1 #344 ]

TheOTThug at aol.com TheOTThug at aol.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:24:26 EST

Damien wrote:<<But sometimes it is.  NASA software has
<<much lower bug rates, because they spend the time,
<<manpower, and organizational intelligence to get
<<lower bug rates, because when the opportunity cost is
<<losing a billion dollar spaceship you can afford a
<<lot of bugchecking.

As an IS Manager, this is one of the hardest concepts to
get across to my people.  That is the concept of "good
enough".  If I am writing a utility program that
displays text help information in a game program and it
fails 1 time out of 5, that may be good enough.  If I
am writing an automated brain surgery robot control
program and it fails 1 time out of 100,000 that is NOT
good enough.  You must compare the cost of finding and
fixing the bug with the resulting cost and then
determine if it is worth fixing.

Jeff Parker