[LMB] Terms for Cohabitation (was Re: parental leave)

Padget, Scott R scott.r.padget at boeing.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:32:45 -0600

Peter H. Granzeau provides a term for a cohabiting couple that doesn't
presume marriage:
> And the 'Murrican for that seems to be POSSLQ
> (pronounced "posselcue").

Victoria l'Ecuyer doesn't seem to be familiar with the term:
> Is it? I've never heard of it before. What USA region do you inhabit?

Well, I've known the term since my young adult Seattle days, for one data
point.  Only my circle pronounced it "poss-uh-lee-kyoo".  OTOH, I've never
heard anyone use it here in Houston.

And it's an acronym for Persons of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters.
Which strikes me as unacceptably exclusionary these days.

Pilot Padget--all for gender-neutral egalitarian terminology