[LMB] OT: Comment markers (was Best One-Liners)

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 00:51:14 -0000

> From: TheOTThug at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Comment markers (was Best One-Liners)
> Date: 15 February 2002 23:03
>
> Little Egret wrote:
> <<There can be a contract without money changing hands,
> <<the standard gnu licence and the ALL WARRENTIES
> <<EXCLUDED are certainly attempt to set the state of
> <<legal relations to where the supplier wants them and
> <<have any attempt to sue foiled at the earliest
> <<possible moment and never let an American civil jury
> <<within a mile.
>
> Nope.  Sorry.  There is no contract without an exchange
> of value.  That is the reason you often see someone
> purchasing something for $1 that is worth much more.
> Without an exchange of value it is a gift and not an
> agreement or contract.

Sorry. It is only true that "every contract requires consideration" and a
peppercorn or a promise of something not previously agreed is enough.

So you are given the right to use the software and in return promise to
honour the gnu licence conditions and accept the ALL WARRENTIES EXCLUDED.

That's how I analyse it, if you think otherwise let's see why you think the
user isn't bound.

Little Egret