[LMB] Re: OT: test for Asperger's syndrome

sue reynolds skreynolds2 at yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:08:19 -0800 (PST)

Marna wrote:

> I'm cautious about ALL diagnostic tools, but
> especially pop psych ones.
>
> Having myself been misdiagnosed by trained and
> talented professionals who had
> ongoing clinical relationships with me, y'see.
>
> :-)
>
> The clinical diagnostic criteria to keep in mind for
> almost ALL disorders is:
>
> C. The disturbance causes clinically significant
> impairment in social,
> occupational, or other important areas of
> functioning
>
> We're all a little bit crazy. If you're basically
> happy and functional, it's no
> biggie.

I generally try not to do "yeah, you're right," posts,
but I think you hit the nail on the head.  The score I
got on the test was high enough that I probably should
check myself into an institution for the terminally
bewildered, but I was being a bit gloomy and insecure
about whether I really like talking to people--not
really, but my work requires that I do it, and I do do
it pretty well, and I enjoy doing things well....but I
really don't like parties unless I can go hide in the
kitchen with a book.  <g>  You get the idea.

Sue Reynolds, who is often both happy and functional.