[LMB] OT: names as cruelty, was Significant Authors

Laura Gallagher kelts at earthlink.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:54:44 -0800

> Is Louis L'Amour an actual author (I Hope it's a pen name[1]) or is
it a
> blanket name like Franklin W. Dixon was?
>
> Andrew
>
> [1] It's terrible what parents will do with their children.  Think
> people, these poor things will live with it all their school years.

Isn't it terrible?  I used to work in home loans in banking long ago,
and would see the most terrible examples come through.  I felt SO
sorry for Johnny Johnson - until I saw his tax returns, and under
dependents noticed Johnny Johnson, Jr.

Some people just do NOT deserve kids.

I try to always think of worst case scenarios with kids names.  My son
was originally going to be Brendan Alexander, until 2 friends I
mentioned it to said "Brandy Alexander, like the drink?" and one odd
friend said "Brandy Alexander, like the porn star?"  Strike one name.
Sadly for the Using-Bujold-Names theory, Gregory Gallagher sounds
dorky, IMO.

I always felt sorry for my grandfather - name was picked before birth,
irregardless of sex.  Marion Francis Deam.  Poor guy, no wonder he
turned out to be such a SOB.

Laura G.