[LMB] OT: Count of Montecristo

Marna Nightingale marna at redmaplegrove.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:06:57 -0500

I'm sure someone asked, though I can't find the post ATM.

I write lousy reviews, but:

It's good work. It's not stunningly original or anything, but I liked it,  Ian
liked it, it commits no egregious crimes against either Dumas or basic sense,
and the acting is good.  Guy Pearce nibbled on the scenery in spots, but I
wouldn't say he chewed it. He may perhaps have seen Dangerous Liasons one too
many times...

I'm a movie violence wuss, and it didn't send me flying out of the theatre to
hide.  Ian's a bit of an authenticity freak, and I didn't have to suppress him.

The costume designer deserves an award. Not only are the costumes very nice in
and of themselves, they added a lot of nice subtle notes to the characters.

Swashes are buckled.  The fight scenes fit the plot, not someone's desire for
Lots Of Steel and Make It Flashy.

Marna.
--
Marna Nightingale
marna at redmaplegrove.org
~~~~~
"Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact,
be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men."
St. Augustine.