[LMB] Re: Eurobryants

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham andrew at firehead.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:17:59 -0600

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 05:58 PM, Catherine OShea wrote:

> So, do I get bonus points for books by Sartre or De Beauvoir? In
> french?  What about
> lots and lots of foreign language dictionaries?

If the dictionaries involve English, they don't count.  If they are
French to French, they count four times as much (2x2).  If they are
French to (Other European Language) they count Double (2x1) and if they
are (OEL) to (OEL) they count once (1x1)

> Or my Old French stuff (particularly the
> history in rhyming couplets about the death of Henry II - there's
> nothing quite like
> having really revolting disease symptoms described in rhyming
> couplets...)

Is that Old French as a language, or 'long time ago'?  It sounds quite
interesting.  The kind of thing several of us would like to read.[1]

> And, more importantly, how do I count my cartoon book "101 things to do
> with a John
> Major"?  (it is quite amusing)

That does sound amusing.  Quite.  Will there be a sequel about "102
things not to do with a Tony Blair"?

> Enquiring minds want to know.

Andrew

[1] I think you might well be able to say that about ANY group of
printed words, if you draw from the entire list.