[LMB] OT: Taxes vs wages

Kiri Aradia Morgan tiamat at tsoft.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:11:34 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 TheOTThug at aol.com wrote:

> Kiri wrote:
> <<Although I find it interesting that Mark speaks of
> <<being irritated by what employees do with their
> <<paychecks.
>
> Then you mis-understood what he was saying.  He was
> talking about an all too common event in small business.

Actually I understood him.  My point was that if people are selling their
time and their labor, they have made a contract and they should be paid
what they are due.  What they do with the money later is not their
employer's business.

> When there is not enough money to meet payroll due to
> whatever conditions, the owner does not get a salary and
> may have to drain their savings or go further into debt
> in order to make sure those employees are paid.  And
> they do it.  My wife did, Bart did, and other owners I
> know did.  And when you put yourself into that tough of
> a position, where perhaps you cannot pay your own bills,
> and see someone who works for you and does not have the
> responsibility, blowing the cash on stupidity, it does
> grate.

I understand that.  But... they are not obligated to you to spend the
money you give them on things you would approve of.  They fulfill their
obligation to you by doing their jobs.  I am sure that it SUCKS to be in
that position.  Just like it sucks if you are a parent and watch your kids
fresh out of college blowing their money.

But...

it's THEIR money, not yours.

>  What grates even more is when you do that and then the employee
> bitterly complains that you don't pay them what they are worth.  HEY.
> I AM PAYING YOU EVERY THING I CAN AFFORD!  If it isn't enough, go work
> for someone else cause I cannot give you money I don't have.

Indeed, that is the thing that people who work for money will usually do,
if they can.

The thing is, that if you expect people to care about you and your
business and your personal financial issues, you have to be more to them
than a boss.  If I agree to work for someone for X number of dollars per
hour, I expect to be paid that amount, and I don't put in free overtime
either.  It is a contract in which you and I engage.  I currently work so
that I can write.  I care about what happens at my job, but it's not my
life.  Your business is your life.  You are doing what you love.  I'm not,
when I'm at work I'm doing what I have to do to finance what I love.
I'm sure that I have had bosses who thought I was blowing my money on
books and boyfriends and toys and weird weekend trips to hang out with my
freaky friends, but there's no law that says I have to invest in their
preferred stocks instead of trading in weird Japanese toys on eBay.  I
earned the money, it's mine.  I spend money on clothes instead of real
estate... I don't want to own a house, I'd have to pay for the maintenance
instead of calling someone else who is required to make the repairs within
a timely manner or they don't get the rent.

People rent from, or work for, others because it is beneficial to do so,
not because they want to share your struggle.  That's part of capitalism.

I am very sympathetic to the problems of small businesses. I would like to
suggest that large corporations, however, have made life much more
difficult for small business owners than their workers usually do.
Employees are pretty much the same no matter what the size of the business
is.  The fact is, large corporations get all kinds of breaks from the
gov't that small businesses don't.  I really don't think this is economic
conservatism, no matter what the Republicans want me to think.

Kiri  ^_^

Kiri Aradia Morgan                                  93!  Thou Art God
tiamat at tsoft.com

"If time passes, everything turns into beauty
If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away
Everything starts wearing fresh colors
Every sound begins playing a heartfelt melody
Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic
Desire is embraced in a dream..."              -- X-JAPAN