[LMB] Cordelia's uniqueness

Jaye orchestra at wingedharper.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:49:55 -0800

Kathy -

>dumped her.  She had become more self-confident in her ability to lead the
>expeditions she was in charge of, which apparently were really hot stuff if
>Enrique is to be believed.
         From a "socially awkward" young adult to someone skilled enough at
personal interactions to elicit cooperation from a group of "Betan
intellectual prima-donnas" as Captain of her ship is a huge leap. I'd
figure that she'd taken the correspondence courses and some at-home
command-school seminars to be eligible for command, but perhaps hadn't yet
succeeded in applying them in her own life. (Speaking from school teaching
experience, there is a questioning process, in fact, that one needs to go
thru to determine when it's okay to use those skills in a non-leadership
relationship and when to refrain!)
         I get the feeling she was still struggling with that when she met
Aral, and that kept her mainly in her commander role except with family.
She seemed very fulfilled career-wise, but I sensed a deep loneliness
underneath. Her remaining awkwardness would have maintained her fear of
reaching out socially. Of course, every commander is lonely on the job. She
_has_ no "peers" on the ship.

>and Barrayaran.  Kareen never knew her as pure Betan, so had somewhat of a
>warped perspective of what Beta means or stands for, at least until she
>went there to study.
         Her thought, _Check your assumptions. In fact, check your
assumptions at the door._ from _Barrayar_ tells us that she is willing to
accept that not everything she thinks is reality. If you've met people like
that, they're very ... interesting... to be around. For others who check
assumptions, very comforting, if startling. For those who don't, they can
be extremely unsettling and at times terrifying.

>I'm
>sure it was pretty hard on the aristocracy to get used to her too.
         Sure was for Vordarian, at least!!!!! Can't say she didn't give
him fair warning about the dangers of annoying her.
         One wonders how many others' comfortable (to self) and
manipulative, domineering, or downright destructive attitudes and behaviors
experienced the axe of Cordelia's annoyance during the Regency period!

>But
>after the rebellion, when she was put in charge of Gregor lock, stock, and
>barrel, there was probably no question that she was committed to Barrayar.
         Her commitment started when she took Oath to him when Ezar died.
The last tie to Beta broke with a snap audible only to her. From there on,
she was wholly Barrayaran in loyalty.

Jaye
www.wingedharper.com
http://wingedharper.com/caesarean_trauma/index.html