[LMB] [DI 10 Spoilers]

Louann Miller louann_m at yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:24:42 -0600

At 12:06 PM 2/20/2002 -0800, Laura G wrote:
>oops

> >  >i
> >  >n
> >  >e
> >  >E
> >  >y
> >  >e
> >  >s
> >  >H
> >  >a
> >  >v
> >  >e
> >  >S
> >  >e
> >  >e
> >  >n
> >  >T
> >  >h
> >  >e
> >  >G
> >  >l
> >  >o
> >  >r
> >  >y
> >  >O
> >  >f
> >  >D
> >  >I
> >

>I passed this on to Karl for his interest - he replies as follows:
>
>Exactly 1000 strikes me as odd, given that each one is being
>negotiated between clans.  I'd expect that to be a rounded-off
>average.  Or maybe there's something else going on.  Cetaganda
>had a discussion of forcing the haut to increase their
>birthrate, maybe they've set a minimum of 1000/yr?

Good way to account for the round number, I'm willing to provisionally buy it.

>0.01% of population makes sense to me.  That's on the order
>of a million haut, which is small for an ethnic group but
>large for a genetically engineered subspecies.  Hmmm, that's
>about the same total population as the quaddies IIRC.

I don't think we can necessarily assume that you can take the number of
haut on Rho Ceta and multiply by eight(?) planets for a total. I would
expect a much larger concentration on the capitol world and around the
Celestial Garden. Maybe as many haut as on all the secondary worlds put
together. I have vague comparisons in mind to England in the Victorian era:
haut as titled nobility, ghem as gentry, and ordinary Cetagandans as the
mass of proles.

Louann, just throwing hats into the ring.