[LMB] Re: OT: coca cola

Mary Wilcox wilcox at atlas.socsci.umn.edu
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:16:54 -0600

Catherine writes:
<<By the way, I have just come into possession of the 'Classic Coca Cola Recipes'
cookbook, which seems to imply that using Coca Cola in savoury cooking instead of,
say, wine, is a fairly common and indeed traditional practice in the US...  I really find
this fairly hard to believe, but felt that an enquiry to the Listmind is warranted.

Catherine (who does know people who use Vegemite instead of stock cubes in some
recipes, but feels that coca cola instead of red wine in Coq au vin is taking things a
little too far...)>>

Some people are extremely concerned with the use of wine.  I know of one
alcoholic who will not use vinegar because she *will not* use alcohol in
any way, shape or form. I don't understand her reasoning, since
as far as I can tell you can neither taste it nor get high from it.

I think Coca Cola has acetic acid as an ingredient, which is a tenderizer.
Therefore it can help a tough cut of meat, as can wine or vinegar
(usually used as a bottle of Italian Salad dressing).

If any listies have a good recipe for things-to-dump-in-the-crockpot-
with-the-potroast-and-let-cook, I'm interested.

By the way, I have a recipe that calls for 2 tablespoons of Vegemite.
What can I substitute for it?  Anchovy paste?

Mary in St. Paul