[LMB] Re: OT: naming conventions (was names as cruelty)

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:34:53 -0500

At 18:02 02/20/2002 +0000, Agnes Charrel-Berthillier wrote:

>It's the *legal* naming convention (last names never change, a married
>woman is only allowed to tack her husband's name to hers by tradition, not
>law).
>Of course, one never uses one's middle names in day to day life. It's the
>kind of information you discover about your friends when playing "look at
>the ridiculous picture on my old ID" - it adds the "look at the ridiculous
>names I have" dimension to the game.
>Traditionally a married woman goes by her husband's name.
>So I would be more likely to be Agnes Berthillier in social settings.
>Professionally I go by Agnes Charrel-Berthillier, because I graduated
>under my maiden name, plus it annoys my husband :)

As good a reason to use a name as any, I suppose.

Ah.  The USA, of course, has 50 sets of laws on the subject, but pretty
universally a generation or more ago, they mandated a name change for the
woman on marriage.  And in the event of a divorce, she had to ask the Court
for her old name back as part of the decree.  However, many states now
permit any number of combinations (I understand, for instance, that one
State permits either party to a marriage to keep their name, or to change
their name--to anything else they might choose.  We get hyphenations, both
take his name, both take her name, and either or both change their name(s)
to something else.

--

Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net