[LMB] This and that

POUNCER altpouncer at yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:29:42 -0800 (PST)

I'm scrambling like mad to catch up.  Failing.

Sherwooding recent traffic.

Betsy Hosler <hosler at helix.mgh.harvard.edu> writes:

>This is becoming less interesting, as people read the
>whole thing, and wander off. Or something. There doesn't
>seem to be much by-fragment/chapter discussion going on. I
>think I enjoy reading it piecemeal - forces me to take
>time to think about the contents and speculate about
>future events.

Agreed. I really miss the focus we had on _ACC_.
Same as with _Curse of Chalion_ ... the effects of the ARC
and other complete copies has rather blunted the group-read
of the work as a serial.

As the retired covert ops agent learned from the the
retired chief of ImpSec, "It was before my time..."  but --
was this list in being when _Cetaganda_ was serialized
in "Analog"?   I'm curious if the texts-in-serial-
installments discussions were ever possible before Baen
started snippeting sample chapters.
--

Jane Hotchkiss <hotchkiss-c at webtv.net>

>Vordarian probably had heirs of some legal sort, though
>not "of his body", so there still would be at least six
>lnes of succession.

I suppose this might be different, like the titles
and piles distinction that Ivan mentions regarding,
uhm, Vordrozda?  in _WA_.  The Vordarien Countship
might descend upon some male Vordarien who is NOT
connected to the Vorbarra line.

I need to look at the family tree again...
--

Claudia Muir <claudia at bookcase.com>

>Germans.
>
>[pout]  Really.  Why are we always overlooked? [/pout]

Ah, but conspicuous behavior that gets noticed then
gets attributed to some subset of the class.  "Oh,
him, he's a _Bavarian_, what can you expect?"  "No,
no, that rude person was _Prussians_; we're not really
like that..."

Rather like Ameriloques do with Californians.

--

James M. BRYANT <jbryant at iee.org> brags:

> Analog Devices IS a multi-billion dollar company where
>the CEO can be found drinking coffee in people's cubicles
>-and where you can put your head round his door and say
>"Got a minute, Jerry?"

MrsP assures me that Texas Instruments shared similar
classlessness.  Not that TI wouldn't lay off lineworkers
and managers in a heartbeat -- nor hire them back just
as quickly when conditions turned around.

Sort of depends on whether the business culture is
modeled after Ford Motors or Intel Semiconductors.
 --

Casey Allison <cameramom00 at yahoo.com> answers Pilot
Padgett.

>> Might Casey perhaps know the inimitable Kay
>>Carrasco, lost list-denizen of days long past?

> no "Kay" or  initial "K".) Doesn't make it impossible...
>but is it important? To Scott or anyone?

Yeah, to me for at least one more.

Royce Day <Royce_Day at choicehotels.com> confirms:

>We just miss her terribly.

Right.

--

Regarding corporate taxes:

IMO corporate taxes are inherently  inequitable because the
tax burden falls differently upon different groups in
different industries and areas.  The same tax rate
applied to producers of, say, cigaretts and comic books
will have vastly different impacts.  Tobacco corporations
selling into an inelastic demand for a consumable product
can pass the tax along as a price hike.  Publishers _can't_
much boost the price of a book without losing customers to
movies or the "collectable" used-book market -- so profits
drop or authors/artists don't get paid as much. Then,
gimmickry in the tax code attempting to address the
inequalities produces abuses...It's a delusion  that
corporations pay taxes instead of people.  _Which_ people
are affected varies.  But no tax assessed on a corporation
magically conjures money out of the firm's plumbing to pay
it.  All taxes paid are divided up and borne among
employees, customers, shareholders, suppliers, and
creditors -- IF they are collected at all.

Impose an income tax on employees, or sales tax on
customers, or profits tax on shareholders, or whatever.
Tax people -- voters, for preference.  The notion
that "we" can tax "them" is just dishonest. Or, as I say,
delusional.

--

Re: the Barrayaran fiscal year... I would expect
the budget to be stretched or compressed for the

Ack! I'm demanded to be elsewhere NOW. See
you later...