[LMB] Re: OT: naming conventions (was names as cruelty)

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:18:45 -0500

At 00:14 02/21/2002 -0500, Nora Bombay wrote:

>When my mother got married in 1975, it had only just become legal for a
>woman to keep her own name in Florida. She did, as it was what she was
>known by professionally.

I married in 1960, when the old laws were still in effect.  My pouse had to
change her driver's license, her social security account, and her checking
account, to name three things, as well as her employer's records--she was a
schoolteacher.

She had kept her checking account, and was shocked to discover one day that
one of her checks had bounced.  Her own balance said she had plenty of
money in her account.  She went straight to the bank, and discovered there
that her paychecks had not been credited to her account since her
marriage.  Well, where were they?

They were all in MY account, which was with the same bank.  The saw the
surname on the deposit, my account was first on the list...

--

Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net