[LMB] OT: Listmind questions about kosher food

James and Mary Burbidge jamesandmary.burbidge at sympatico.ca
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:44:23 -0500

Mark A Mandel wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Damien R. Sullivan wrote:
>
> #I don't know much about kosher, but my response is "cats aren't Jews".
> #Gentiles aren't sinners for not following kosher, for example; they
> #didn't make the covenant, they're not expected to follow all those
> #rules.  So I guess it boils down to whether Jews are supposed to not use
> #corn during Passover, or not eat it.  If the latter, no problem.
>
> A Jew is not supposed to own any non-Passover food during Passover, and
> there are traditions and rituals about purging the house of crumbs. See
> my previous (by a minute!) post in this thread.

Some people who are really careful prepare their houses _weeks_ before
14 Nisan; these people are often looked at somewhat askance by others in
their community.

One classic mechanism is to have a Gentile friend offer to buy all the
chametz food you own for a token sum for the period of Pesach ... I've
done that in my time (i.e. been the purchaser).  (There is a story that
one of the Bronfmans -- the family owned a distillery -- had trouble
getting the purchaser to return the chametz goods (large amounts of rye
and other grains) after pesach was over.)

The getting rid of non-Passover food tradition is _not_ recent, BTW: for
the Christians on the list, it's what Paul refers to when he speaks of
"purging out the old leaven".

James Burbidge			jamesandmary.burbidge at sympatico.ca