[LMB] Listees by nation

Dana Crom danac at pacbell.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:44:03 -0800

Another mostly-lurker logging in (followed the list in archives since
'97, but aside from occasional off-list email haven't participated)

Name: Dana Lee Crom
Male (with this name I need to specify - one of the more useful filters for
      phone pests is when they ask my wife if *she* is Dana)
Meyers-Briggs: INTJ

DOB: May 7, 1959
Current Home (since 1980): San Jose, CA

Education: BS with concentrations in Computer Science & English Lit.
Occupation: SW Engineer (Firmware & device drivers, mostly.  For non-computer
            folks this means that I'm a geek's geek.  I write the stuff that
            applications programmers need to make *their* stuff work.)

Married 20 years next month; 2 daughters, 13 and 8 years old.  Married another
book-pusher and our kids both have the disease in its most virulent form. (The
last time we visited her folks in Hong Kong, between us we lugged over 20
books along.  And that was just for the *plane* - we were busy enough there to
seriously cut into our reading time.)

Hobbies: Reading, computers, astronomy, hiking, eating.  Used to do SCA in HS
         and college.  Used to homebrew beer - now I just sample new
         microbrews.

Fandom: Very little formal participation (though I was very active on r.a.sf.w
        for several years) but I've been an avid SF reader since I was 8 or
        so.  Current collection somewhere between a metric and an English
        Bryant - hard to tell, since my books and #1 daughter's tend to
        overlap.

And like a lot of listies, I'm sort of a mixed bag politically -
moderate-to-liberal on social issues, moderate-to-conservative on economic
issues.  Strong emotional agreement with the Libertarians, but think they need
to use a little pragmatics when applying their principles.  And I understand
disagreeing with me *doesn't* mean that you're a Bad Nasty Person, or Stupid,
or that if I explain things to you clearly and loudly enough you'll convert to
the One True Way.

I don't expect to post too often, but I do try keep up with the list.  And you
can add me as another possible ConJose crash space.  I also know a number of
good local restaurants within walking distance of the Con.

Dana