[LMB] OT: Metropolis - a short movie review

Bruce Perry bperry at shore.net
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:10:09 -0500

My wife and I saw Metropolis over the weekend.  Not the Fritz Lang
version.  This one was directed by Rintaro and written by Katsuhiro
Otomo.  I gather that it was indirectly inspired by Lang's Metropolis.  I*
thought it was lots of fun, quite possibly the best anime I've seen since
Princess Mononoke.  This version of Metropolis adds robots to the ranks of
the oppressed and brings in a couple of Japanese characters to be the
observers.  They lose the evil twin of the original, but there's a lot of
twisted plots to replace it.  And a Tower of Babel theme too.  This being
a  Japanese movie, you just know what that will mean later on.  Oh, and
they kept the zeppelins.  It couldn't be called Metropolis without zeppelins.

The scenery was highly detailed and maybe even too 3D;  the background's
depth clashed at times with the characters lack of depth.  I wish they
could have managed to get good actors to dub the voices instead of relying
on subtitles**.  With so much lovely detail around, who wants to waste time
reading dialog?

There's an unlikely musical selection playing during a climactic
scene.  That choice alone was almost worth the price of admission for
me.   Metropolis doesn't seem to be playing in many theatres (only one in
the Boston area) but it's worth seeing if you don't have to travel too far.

Bruce

*My wife liked Metropolis, but thought it was "weird".  She's not as into
SF and anime as I am.  She and another viewer missed lots of plot details
because they were too busy looking at the highly detailed backgrounds to
read some key dialog.

**Princess Mononoke had good actors doing the voices.  It really makes a
difference.