[LMB] OT: Listmind questions about kosher food

Kiri Aradia Morgan tiamat at tsoft.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:02:12 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Michael Bauminger wrote:

> On Friday, February 22, 2002 11:38 PM, "Kiri Aradia Morgan"
> tiamat at tsoft.com wrote:
>
> > Somebody said that they make kosher Cokes without
> > corn syrup.  I prefer cane sugar sodas, but I couldn't
> > find the kosher Coke even though there are huge
> > displays of matzos and other Passover goodies all
> > over the local Safeway.  How can I recognize it and
> > will it look different than regular Coke, or will there be
> > a code I have to look for?
>
> Corn (maize) is a grain, but it is not one of the 5 biblical grains
> (wheat, oats, barley, rye, and spelt) the leavened forms of which are
> biblically prohibited for Passover. Ashkenazic tradition prohibits
> other species that are a) grains and b) subject to leavening, but it
> is a Rabbinic, not Biblical prohibition. However, it means that in the
> Ashkenazic tradition, corn, rice, mustard, and legumes - including
> peas and peanuts - among other species are prohibited for use on
> Passover.

Thank you!  this is very interesting.

> Also, Passover is unusual in that Jews are forbidden from
> getting any use from leavened products on Passover, not just from
> eating them. They are also under injunction not to have any leavened
> products in the house.

That's what I thought.  That's why I thought that you would have to get
the cat food out of the place, also.

> Kosher for Passover Coca Cola (not "kosher Coke" - the corn stuff is
> kosher for the rest of the year) will have an "OU" (that is a "U"
> inside an "O") with a "P" on the cap, or "OU-P" inkjetted onto the
> side of the bottle. There may be other markings as well. It might be
> too early for the kosher for Passover stuff to show up in the
> supermarkets - Passover is still a month away.

Well, the matzot and whatnot are showing up, but Safeway gets stuff in
early.  I'll keep looking for the Cokes.  Thanks for the code.  I knew
there was something I was going to have to look for.

I used to have an allergic reaction to corn, but I had some Chinese
medicine treatments for my immune system and it has mostly gone away.
However, I prefer not to imbibe it when I can avoid it, so I was thinking
that stocking up on Coke when I can get corn-free ones would be a very,
very good idea.  Especially since Jolt is no longer corn-free.

> > My second question is silly.
>
> No it isn't. :-)

Thanks!

> > If I were buying the kosher
> > stuff for religious reasons, instead of because I happen
> > to like to eat it once in a while, would I have to remove
> > the cat food from my house, and what would I feed her
> > instead?
>
> Because Jews are prohibited from getting any use from leavened items
> on Passover, and because they may not have such items in the house,
> they cannot use commercial pet foods on Passover and need to have them
> out of the house. As for what they feed their cats, that is easy -
> people food. They give them tuna, boneless chicken, maybe a little
> stew. It may not be the balanced nutrition that the cat food makers
> tout their products as being, but it keeps their cats going for the
> week.

For a week, that would be fine.  There may be wet cat foods that don't
contain grain, for that matter, but I don't know for sure because she only
gets that as a treat.

> Then all they have to do is convince the cats to give up people
> food for cat food again. :-)

LOL!

Long ago I was very broke and I shared my food with my cat for a short
while instead of buying her her own food.  It was indeed very hard to
convince her to give that up!

And she still insists on having a taste of everything, even though she
doesn't always like my food or understand how I can eat it.  She really
doesn't get salad, although she likes the dressing, and she is also
mystified by Jelly-Ace (a Japanese equivalent of Jell-O, whose taste I
prefer to the American version.)

Thank you very much and thanks to all the other people who answered,
Kiri
Kiri Aradia Morgan                                  93!  Thou Art God
tiamat at tsoft.com

"If time passes, everything turns into beauty
If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away
Everything starts wearing fresh colors
Every sound begins playing a heartfelt melody
Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic
Desire is embraced in a dream..."              -- X-JAPAN