[LMB] favorite non-Lois SF/F books OT:

David Klecha dklecha at i2k.com
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:30:21 -0500

On 2/24/02 10:03 PM, "Natalie Getzoff" <gnatg at bookcase.com> wrote:

> Mine (in no particular order, and as of today):
> David Palmer -- Emergence
> Vernor Vinge -- A Fire Upon The Deep
> Ellen Kushner -- Swordspoint
> Niven and Pournelle -- The Mote In God's Eye
> David Brin -- The Uplift War
>
> There were something like 10 runners-up, but I tried to keep to a limit of 5.
> If enough people give suggestions, I will collect them into a compiled list
> and post it to the List.  Somewhere, I think I still have the original list of
> favorite books (that one included non-SF books), but it may have been lost
> when my old computer died.

Y'know... With stuff like this, we really could start on some sort of
massive project of data compilation and suchlike.  Building an On-Line
Community For Real. :)

For me, favorite is often consonant with most re-readable.  So with that in
mind: (and in no particular order)

And apologies to Jim Parish for stealing his explanation concept. :)

David Drake - Forlorn Hope [1]
Robert A. Heinlein - Have Spacesuit--Will Travel [2]
Terry Pratchett  - Carpe Jugulum  [3]
Isaac Asimov - Caves of Steel [4]
Kristine Smith - Law of Survival [5]

[1] Not exactly the most stunning book, and probably not Drake's best, but
it struck a chord in me somewhere--something about adventure and heroism and
the like that stayed with me.  I can re-read this book without tiring of it.

[2] One of those formative books.  I know it's a juvenile... But it appeals
to my youngest, most awe-struck appreciation of science fiction.

[3] In my opinion, the best of the Discworld series.  I especially enjoyed
the conversation between Granny Weatherwax and the Omnian priest (name
escapes me) on their journey to Uberwald.

[4] Hmm.  I love all the Lije Bailey/Daneel Olivaw novels, and I think it
represented some of Asimov's best effort at characterization.  I may have
read Robots of Dawn first, but I think Caves of Steel really established the
characters in a striking way.

[5] Heh.  I really just love Kristine's work, ever since I picked up the
first one after meeting her at ChiCon two years ago, and Law of Survival is,
to me, the most wonderful of the three.

Dave (the contributory (and surprised that "contributory" is a word) )
http://www.daveman.org